The ipad and iphone is a great tool that allows students to maximize the learning resources they have access to. Students can surf the web and create anything from an essay to a movie on and ipad or iphone. Of course in order to use these you have to know how to use them. Below are some tips that make using an ipad or iphone as easy as possible.
- When switching between apps double tap the home button and swipe from left to right to see what apps are open. To go to one of these click on the app. If you would like to close one of these swipe up on the app.
- In order to restrict apps go to Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable Restrictions > enter a passcode to allow what apps can and cannot be used with out the passcode. When done make sure to return restrictions to off so the ipad can be used freely again.
- Hit the space bar twice to type a period and a space.
- Double tab the shift key to enable caps lock.
- Hold down keys to see special characters/ letters.
- In order to add international keyboards go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard. In order to use the keyboard in the selected language look for the globe in the bottom left of the keyboard on the screen and tap on it to cycle through the different languages.
- Hold the .com key down to get other options like .us, .org, .edu and .net
- Find a word or phrase in safari by going to the search bar when on the page and typing the word or phrase and taping the word or phrase under “On This Page”.
The Google Chrome Web Store is full of many tools to help teachers teach their subjects and students understand their classes. One of the many tools on the chrome web store that can vastly enhance the student and teachers experience in the classroom is HUMAN 3.0. HUMAN 3.0 allows teachers and students alike to view the human body under different situations. The tool can also let the user search for and see certain parts of the human body under different situations. This tool allows students to view the human body doing things in a way that would be impossible with out the use of chrome. Another tool offered on chrome for free is GeoGebra. GeoGebra allows the user to graph in and explore other geometry ideas in a 2d or 3d plane. GeoGebra now lets a teacher graph clearly and in way that can help the student understand.
For more information on GeoGebra Follow the link below
For more information on HUMAN 3.0 follow the link below
Computers have had a positive effect on students in my opinion. I now many students with poor hand writing are now able to clearly type what they want. It can also be used as a resource to help people learn at there own rate. There are cons to computer use along with the positives. Computers cost a lot and can be underused which is why it might be better if computers where in computer labs as apposed to every student having one on them at all times. When deciding if the effects of computers are positive or negative we have to look at every aspect not just the ones I briefly went over.
There are a lot of pros and cons of computer use in the classroom. Computers are extremely helpful for communicating between students. This can be good for working on a project but not good when it is in the middle of class. Students also can get distracted online but online they can find resources that they would not have found other wise. If students are focused on the task and are willing to stay away from distracting sites then I do think that computers are a valuable asset to education. With a computer students are able to move faster in a course and learn and explore more of the subject which might make them want to pursue it later in college. Students are able to start on working with programs like chrome that are used after school in various settings.
Overall I think that the pros out way the cons when it comes to computers in the classroom. Students are able to work on projects with others when ever they need (not just at school). They are able to move faster in the subject on their own which helps them to decide on a possible future career. Students are able to access things they never where able to before. Teachers are able to find resources that explain what they have been having trouble with. In short, computers and other technologies, that are controlled, help teachers and students more then they hurt them.
Google has given students a resource to help them code with google code. Students just have to search the language they want to learn in order to find lessons. After they do this the can explore that coding languages lessons and projects.
Google Code can be used by both students and professionals to help expand there knowledge of code. Weather it be threw learning a language or exploring what others are doing with said language. With google code people can choose from almost any code imaginable. If you want to go to google code and explore go to https://code.google.com/.